Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Book Behind the Title

Welcome:

Lest my imaginary readers assume by the title of the this blog that it will be all about my unique worth and eccentricity, I wish to explain that the name comes from a wonderful novel. A novel I didn't write. A Singular Man (1963) by J.P. Donleavy follows the story of mysterious, aloof, and arrogant millionaire George Smith. It is full of humor that manages to be both intelligent and absurdly childish. Donleavy's writing is both cynical and romantic and your mother would faint if she knew you were reading it. Among Donleavy's classics is the more famous The Ginger Man (1955) about an American war veteran studying, boozing, and chasing skirt at Trinity College in Dublin. It was banned in both the Republic of Ireland and the United States for obscenity and remains a classic for all self-professed rakish intellectuals. Just because those people like it doesn't mean it's a bad book. It's great and still manages to shock. However, I lied. This blog is going to be all about me and my singularity.



2 comments:

  1. It's funny : four years ago I opened a blog with the same name. Because this book is one of my favorite ones (and the also the favorite of the author, I think). I crashed the blog, but here it again, it's nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thanks! It really is a great book. And not very well known at all. Let's see if I actually manage to post some more content here.

    ReplyDelete